Established by the Australian National Council on Drugs, the National Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Committee (NIDAC) is providing independent and valuable advice to government that is based on community feedback, the expertise of its members as well as a range of other sources where it accesses information.
NIDAC’s strengths are:
- Its predominantly Indigenous membership comprising experts who have specialist knowledge and experience in addressing Indigenous alcohol and other drug issues and who also work in a professional capacity amongst Indigenous Australians.
- Ability to consult with Indigenous communities in a culturally appropriate way.
- Immediate access to Indigenous Australians, the alcohol and drug workforce, service providers, key stakeholders, government and policy makers through its national networks.
- Its uniqueness as the only national committee that provides specific and independent advice on Indigenous alcohol and other drugs.
- Expert advice can be provided from a local, state/territory and national level.
- Has a reputation amongst government, the alcohol and drug sector and Indigenous communities as a highly credible and independent source of advice, knowledge and expertise.